The four stage cycle of CBSE Affiliation
CBSE affiliation is an important milestone for a school project. Lack of awareness and clear understanding of CBSE requisites at times is a big hurdle in the growth of the school. Our teams of school consultants for CBSE Affiliation are well versed with the affiliation process and have been members of the CBSE inspection team in the past. The affiliation process comprises of infinite procedures, documentation, requirements with respect to infrastructure and trained personnel to handle the complete procedure. Erocon will take care of the whole process making it easier for our clients to understand and reduce their efforts on this which could further be utilized to take care of other pressing matters simultaneously.
The way to establish a CBSE school has always been obstructed with a lot of covert and overt challenges at the time of pre-affiliations and post-affiliation stages. Undoubtedly, there is no better time to take off a CBSE school project. In a bid to make the procedure more transparent, simplified and hassle-free, CBSE Board, the most progressive board among all 41 boards of India, has amended its By-Laws substantially by reducing the paperwork, and respective State-related documentations. The newly revised regulation simplifies the modus operandi of the affiliation norms, the potential changes if necessary as well as the school management. This article will address the level of difficulties or easiness to kickstart a CBSE school by an entrepreneur or a promoter after the amendment of the CBSE Affiliation By-Laws, 2018. Two stages of affiliations-pre-affiliation and post-affiliation- are applicable to two different aspiring entities. An institution must adhere to the pre-affiliation norms whereas a school already inspected by the affiliation committee to follow the post-affiliation norms after the receipt of a positive recommendation by the inspecting CBSE committee. As of writing this article, CBSE alone has more 22,000 plus affiliated schools, offering world-class education up to 2 crores students under the mentorship of 70 lakhs qualified teachers and the demand to venture into a CBSE school with each passing day is skyrocketing. A potential entrepreneur prefers to set up a CBSE school as being their first choice over ICSE and State Board school.
Let’s analyze and understand as to how easy or difficult it is to open a CBSE school through the various heads:
The Establishment of the CBSE School:
Executing the application for the Affiliation is one of the very important segments by the school. The school should beestablished by societies registered under the Societies Registration Act 1860 of the Government of India or under Acts of the State Governments. With all the fairness and frankness, this school should be a set-up of educational, charitable, or religious societies having non-proprietary character. A private school should be run or established by a Registered Society, a Trust or a Company (under section 25 (I) (a) of the Companies Act 1956 or as amended for objective of delivering the education, not with the deliberation of profit making.
School Management Committee:
According to Chapter 8 of the CBSE Affiliation By-Laws, 2018, apart from having a scheme of management, every CBSE school should have a School Management Committee as stated under RTE,2009 and as per the followingprovisions in the CBSE Affiliation By-Laws, 2018:
- The SMC of an aided school shall consist of not more than fifteen memberswhereas there shall be 21 membersfor a private unaided school with the exception in case of Senior Secondary Schools offering Vocational Courses
- The total numbers of the members specified above shall include the following individual:
- The Head of the school as a Member Secretary
- Two parents of students studying in the school. One father and one mother in case of co-educational school.
- Two respected teachers of the school
- Two other persons out of whom one shall be a woman who is or has been a school or college teacher and shall be nominated by the Trust/Society/Company
- Two members nominated by the board.
- The other members to be nominated or elected as per norms laid down in Trust/Society/Company running the school
- At least 50% of SMC comprises of women.
More details study, please refer to this and visit the page no.22: http://cbseaff.nic.in/cbse_aff/attachment/onlineservices/affiliation-Bye-Laws.pdf
Recognition from the respective Government:
Before the affiliation stage of a school, it is essential to submit a Recognition Certificate from the appropriate State Education Department as per the rules stipulated in the RTE ACT-2009. Recognition means the formal recognition of the school in the light of the RTE ACT-2009.
No Objection Certificate:
One of the hurdles to run a school is to get a N.O.C (No Objection Certificate) from the respective State or UT government. No school can be functional smoothly without getting N.O.C approved even if all CBSE affiliation-related norms have got cleared. “No Objection Certificates” means a letter issued by District Education Officer (DEO) on behalf of the Education Department of the respective State/Union Territory. The N.O.C. will be valid for the unlimited period, regardless of having the expiry date on it. It will be valid till that time of its withdrawal from the issuing authority on behalf of respective State or Union Territory. However, recognition and N.O.C are two different aspects of the same coin.
As per the CBSE rule, a school, seeking CBSE affiliation, shall have a minimum of 6000 square meters of land to be eligible for CBSE Affiliation surrounded by a pucca boundary wall of sufficient and adequate height. This criterion has been further revised to 4,000 square meters of land if the school is situated, in the city with a population exceeding 15 lakhs or in the capital city of the state or state of Jammu and Kashmir or a city of National Capital Region, etc. Furthermore, a school located in Ahmedabad or Bengaluru or Pune or Hyderabad shall have land requirements of 2000 square meters for Secondary School and 3000 (4000) square meters for Senior Secondary School respectively. Metropolitan cities such as Chennai, Delhi, Kolkata and Mumbai, the state of Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim will require land of 1600 square meters for Secondary School and 24,00 (or 3200) square meters for Senior Secondary School respectively.
Within the pucca boundary of these said land as per the rule, it is mandatory for the schools to build the advanced building with a compulsory playground with adequate facilities. As per the CBSE norms, below listed down facilities would be built into the premises of the school:
- A well-ventilated class of 8m.X 6m.(approximately 500 square feet),giving a floor space of at least 1 square meter per student shall be constructed or existed.
- A composite laboratoryfor secondary and separate laboratories such as Chemistry, Physics, Biology for Senior Secondary respectively should be equipped with the area of 9m. X 6m. (approximately 600 square feet).
- Within the premises of the school, a library with an area of 14m X 8m.should be developed with the reading arrangements. The library contains e-Books, Fiction, Non-Fiction, Reference Books, Encyclopedias, Periodicals, Magazines, and Newspapers.
- The school seeking CBSE affiliation should also develop the Computer Lab with at least 20 computersalong with excellent internet connectivity, and Mathematics Laboratory.
- To explore the creative side of the students, the school also has separate rooms for extracurricular activities such as music, dance, arts, and sports.
To establish a CBSE School, it is indispensable to maintain and develop a school’s website, detailing the vital information about the admission process, facilities, libraries, and latest essential updates, etc.
The school seeking CBSE Affiliation requires to submit all the scanned documents through an online application. The below enumerated down documents are required as a laundry list.
- N.O.C.(No Objection Certificate) from the respective Government
- Formal Recognition Letter from the education department of the respective State or UT
- A scanned copy of registration letter of Trust/Society/Company (under section 25 (I) (a) of the Companies Act 1956
- An Affidavit of support pledging to serve the society without the commercialization of the education. The Affidavit can be accessed here: http://cbseaff.nic.in/cbse_aff/Affidavit/Sample_Affidavit.pdf
- Land Certificate from the concerned authority
- Snapshots of Infrastructure such as a library, classrooms, an overview from the top floor, and playground ground along with the pucca boundaries of four sides
- All essentials safety certificates like Fire safety certificate, Health & Sanitation certificate, Building Safety Certificate, etc
- EPF Details.
Alternatively, more detailed information can also be accessed by visiting annexures II, III, IV of CBSE Affiliation By-Laws, 2018.
Like other business model, to take off the school project requires a considerable capital investment through a sanctioned bank loan or any other mean. To venture into a new school setup, a promoter must have the necessary capital to purchase the required land to meet the infrastructural development of the school, abiding by the CBSE Affiliation By-Laws in tune with the concerned State or Union Territory of India. This capital investment ranges from INR 3 crores to INR 100 crores to meet the developmental, functional, architectural, and land requirements.
There is no doubt to say that all the above-discussed tediousness and intricacies should be addressed with due diligence during or before the planning phase by the school which seeks the CBSE Affiliation. It is strongly advisable to promoters to stay tuned with the rules and regulations of CBSE Norms, and the appropriate State or Union Territory.
Here comes the most critical role of the pioneer in the field of school education consulting, Erocon. We address the complexities of the school project before the inception of a school. We as a one-stop solution strategize, chart out and provides the plan for the hassle-free and successful execution of a school, addressing the numerous challeneges from the outset until the successful end of the project. We always adopt the most simplified and creative approach to the needs of your school in the most satisfying manner. Many schools have consulted us, and they all have been successfully achieving the milestones session after session. We (Eroconians),are the proud meditator in the successful voyage of our valued partners who are transforming many lives at an impressive pace.
Important dates, Processing times for CBSE affiliation or how much time does it take to get CBSE affiliation? ( ICSE & IB)
Processing Stages in CBSE Affiliation process and workflow: Review work to ensure all norms are fulfilled | Application to CBSE (From documents preparation to applying online ) | Preparing for Inspection | Coordinating with inspection committee | Regular follow up with CBSE regarding the application status.